FULL MOON POETS PRESENTS:
Poetry by Ben Ackerman, student and performance poet
Keith Fowler's class at Innovations Academy (*see end of page)
2016 Winter Slam at La Paloma Theater
_To Be Announced_
LA PALOMA THEATER: 471 SOUTH COAST HIGHWAY IN DOWNTOWN ENCINITAS
DOORS OPEN TO PUBLIC AT 5:30:30 PM - FREE
SHOWTIME 6:00 PM
"POETS CALL" 5:00 PM - POETS WHO WISH TO ENTER PLEASE
BE AT FRONT DOOR BY 5:00 PM
POETS - ALL WHO WISH TO ENTER WILL PUT THEIR NAME IN THE POPCORN BUCKET BY 5 PM - ONLY THE FIRST 17 NAMES DRAWN WILL BE THE LINE UP FOR THE NIGHT. ANYONE UNDER 18 WILL NEED A PARENT OR GUARDIAN TO SIGN THE RELEASE FORM PROVIDED THE NIGHT OF THE SLAM.
16 YEARS OF SLAMMING POETRY IN OUR HISTORIC THEATER HAS MADE THIS ONE OF THE FAVORITE NIGHTS IN ENCINITAS. FREE TO THE PUBLIC AND OPEN TO ANYONE WHO WISHES TO ENTER.
Full Moon Poets
101 Artists' Colony/Arts Alive Foundation
Looking for sponsors for the Winter 2016 Slam. Contact Danny at 760-845-8456
THE RULES ARE SIMPLE:
1. POETS NEED 3 OF THEIR OWN ORIGINAL POEMS THAT DO NOT GO OVER 3 MINUTES EACH.
2. THERE IS A 1/2 POINT PENALTY FOR EVERY 10 SECONDS OVER 3 MINUTES.
3. THERE ARE THREE ELIMINATION ROUNDS GOING FROM 17 POETS TO 8 TO THE 3 FINALISTS.
4. NO COSTUMES, PROPS OR RECORDED MUSIC.
5. THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE FOR POETRY SLAMS IS TO LEAVE YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR.
6. IF YOU DON'T GET PICKED FOR THE FIRST 17 WE HOPE YOU STAY FOR THE FUN AND IF YOU GET CUT IN THE FIRST ROUND DON'T TAKE IT OUT ON THE JUDGES. THE AUDIENCE WILL TAKE CARE OF THAT. AND STAY TO ROOT ON YOUR FELLOW POETS.
POETS ARE JUDGED ON BOTH CONTENT AND PRESENTATION BY JUDGES PICKED RANDOMLY THE NIGHT OF THE SLAM
*By Ben Ackerman, student and performance poet, class of Keith Fowler, Innovations Academy
"I hate many things, but I hate nothing like I hate the poem. I hate it a lot. There are a lot of things about it that I hate.
Like consonance. It is too constant and is also a nuisance.
Repetition just repeats over and over
And there is nothing cool about that.
Similes and metaphors are worse than having a flashlight without batteries while walking in the forest in the middle of the night.
I really hate Tone. It just makes me so mad! I hate it SO MUCH!
Alliteration, an annoying apparatus that I advise against applying.
Smartphones are like symbolism, they are much overused.
Onomatopoeia sounds like omanomanomnonomopia. It makes me go “Wah! Wah!” whenever I have to say it.
Hyperboles ARE HORRIBLE. THEY ARE THE WORST! I WISH IT NEVER EXISTED! I HATE IT! WHY WOULD YOU EVER WANT TO EXAGGERATE SOMETHING IN WRITING? THAT IS THE MOST STUPID THING EVER!!!
But there is one poetic tool that I hate the most: